I realized something a couple weeks ago - London has made me (more) jaded. I've started to curse when the tube takes longer than a minute to come; walk around with my elbows out fending off innocent yuppies and tourists; yell (in my head, course) at people who are standing on the left side of the escalator; and the list goes on...
This fast paced city has made me more demanding and mean...I never thought that was possible! I don't know what's going to happen when I get back to Ottawa and have to deal with OC Transpo being 10-15minutes late and tourists flooding the streets without a local resident's elbow in sight...yikes!
Aside from my growing disdain for mankind, I'm still enjoying my little adventure! I spent a
good part of March visiting two cities in the north of the UK - Manchester and Sheffield. Manchester was great - after we recovered from our coach breaking down on the way up! We were up at the beginning of March for an LCD Soundsystem gig at the Man Uni's student union. I really enjoyed both the gig and the time there, although we only got to see a small portion of it, it was quite nice and big-small city-ish. Helena's family very graciously put us up for the weekend in their house in Bolton, it was great having a homely place to come back to after a night out and enjoy a lovely cooked breakfast the next morning...yum! I was up in Sheffield for St. Patty's Day visiting my friend Benjie. It was great being in a student city for that weekend, I really got the full 'experience' and walked away with a sweet t-shirt and some new friends! We spent some time in a Guinness tent and at the student union enjoying some 1.5GBP pints...glorious!
Krystel and I had a mutual friend, Jay, come visit us from his adoptive home in Rotterdam a couple weeks ago. We took in a lot of the 'London' sights and enjoyed round two of Granny Flat Party. His trip down and our attendance at Equus made me realize that I have seen quite a number of shows in the city thus far (with hopefully a few more to go before I leave)! Thus far I can add The Taming of the Shrew, Avenue Q, Equus and Chicago to my list with hopefully a few more Shakespearean plays, and the musicals Wicked and Lord of the Rings before I leave.
Emma is here now and (hopefully) enjoying her busy week! I give great kudos to this girl who has planned day trips to Paris, Bath, Windsor and Stonehenge in her week here. We're also off to Pisa, Florence and Lucca tomorrow for a little Italian vacation...whoo hoo! I'm really excited for it, I hear that it's absolutely beautiful and relaxing. We'll see how it goes - we have to leave my flat at 2am tomorrow to make our 6:30am flight...yay?
A final note - it's April 1st!?!?! Ugh, aside from my adventures around the EU and people visiting me, I still have three papers to finish before the end of May. Yeah, I know...I'm still a bloody student!
Sunday, April 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment