Hellish! Is the only way I can adequately describe the past 48hrs. Aside from the fact that in that time I moved cross province with almost everything that I've acquired over the past four years, but I had to say good bye to tons of good friends of mine, acquaintances alike, and one very special someone.
Lets start on the day before all this 'hellish' activity, Wednesday night. It was an amazing day spent between my last day at the FYEO and the revelry at the Liberal Christmas (not holiday) Party! My last evening out in Ottawa with fellow Liberals and good friends, although it was a cash bar, the evening was still a great one. It was interesting because everyone got a chance to see a different side to their political rivals and idols, whether it was because of their brash moves on the dance floor (tsk tsk, Senator Munson) or their smooth stylingin's in working the crowd (kudos to you Mr. Milliken). I was able to get some great pics with some of my own political idols - Scott Brison, Peter Milliken, John McCallum, Carolyn Bennett and Stéphane Dion - needless to say that for a few of 'em, I lost my breath, and for a select few, my heart skipped a beat (I'll let you guess).
The 'hellish-ness' started on Thursday with my dad's arrival to Ottawa. The original plan was to move on the Thursday night, but that soon fell through when we came to the realization that it would have been too tough with the amount of stuff I have. So we loaded up the van for the next day, with the intent of having a quick and easy move home...that was not the case, we soon realized how much stuff (particularly clothes) I had!
We started our day with a hearty breakfast at Dunns at 7am with the intent of leaving the city by 11.30am. Without boring you with the long gruelling details here's a brief summary in MasterCard commercial style:
5 trips to the storage facility
23 trips from my apartment to the van on the road
2 calls to car rental facilities for quotes on one-way rentals
4 hands squeezing every last item into the over stuffed van
0 rear view visibility on 470km ride home
Leaving 6hrs later than schedule, priceless.
What added to my frustration was having to listen to the 'John Tesh Radio Show' for the majority of the car ride home. Mr. Tesh has gone from being a really bad vocalist, to being an even worse radio show host. In between his little 'saving' comments about relationships, keeping marriages strong, dating, family life and others, are cheesy promos for his radio show "Want to save your marriage? Listen to the John Tesh Radio Show" or "John Tesh has your relationship in check, thanks for listening to the John Tesh Radio Show". It sends quivers down my back just thinking about it again...ugh.
End result is me slowly settling in at home in Mississauga, waiting for snow to arrive.
Saturday, December 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Travelling and moving are always such a pleasure, aren't they? Hopefully this time when moving back to Ottawa I won't be hungover, as I have been for the past Ottawa-moves/move-backs. Wait a minute, I'm moving back on New Year's Day - guess the odds aren't looking that great :S
BTW, I'm glad you've started this blog so you'll be able to keep us all updated in London. Looks like you've been using it frequently enough; I hope you keep it up so I can be distracted by all the stories about the British!
Post a Comment